Monday, May 25, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.




I hope that everyone is having a pleasant and restful Memorial Day weekend. It's strange how this three-day weekend kind of crept up on us. For those of us that are still spending most of our time at home, it almost doesn't feel that different from any other day. It's been raining and raining and raining here. We're situated between low pressure systems from the west and the east, and so the rainy weather has just sort of stalled out over us. But even though I haven't gotten outdoors to walk much, one of the neighborhood ducks paid a visit to my next door neighbor's yard...





Anyway, the rainy weather has given me more time to spend inside reading. Here's what I've been reading this past week:



Adult/YA







This YA fiction novel was recommended by Cheriee Weichel on her blog, Library Matters and luckily I was able to download an e-copy from my library. It certainly was a page-turner, an exciting drama that tells the story of a lonely teenager living on a remote island in British Columbia who stumbles into an illegal immigration operation and finds himself in great danger. Owen's parents have gone out of town and left him in charge of their boat marina service. Bored, Owen hides in a giant yacht, hoping to get a ride to a neighboring island. But he discovers that this boat is being used to smuggle youngsters from Honduras into Canada. Now he's in danger and faced with perilous decisions to get himself and his new friends out of this mess. It was a fast-paced novel and I enjoyed it.





I guess the Stay at Home/social isolation orders of the coronavirus pandemic has me thinking about food a lot. We have plenty and it's not like I'm hungry, but I miss being able to the grocery store and getting what I want without being a big ordeal. At any rate, I saw a couple of other reviews of this book that made me put it on my To Read list, and then BookBub.com had a special price on the Kindle edition of this book. I enjoyed it even more than I thought I would! The book follows the character, Eva, from infancy when her chef father longed for her to become a foodie like himself, through her troubled adolescent years to her mid-twenties. Each chapter revolves around a specific food, but has so much more in terms of interpersonal drama. The character development in this story is awesome and I was rooting for Eva the whole way through. Of course, when I was done with the book, I was even more hungry to try new foods, new recipes, and maybe even new restaurants when the current health crisis is over.






Still hungry after reading Kitchens of the Great Midwest, I grabbed this awesome graphic novel off of my shelf. I bought it a while back, but then got to busy to read it. The book takes readers through the author's life of growing up with her chef mother and restaurant loving father. The book's chapter look at different periods of the author's life through food memories. Lots of fun to read and there's recipes in it that have inspired me. Lately, I've really wanted to try some new things and this book is a good starting point!



Picture Books






This funny picture book is a follow-up to I Yam a Donkey!, in which the Yam tries so hard to patiently explain to Donkey the difference between YOU and EWE as a new friend is introduced. Young readers will definitely giggle at the confusion that follows and the frustration that Yam experiences as they try to sort out the silly love triangle. This would definitely be a fun way to talk about homonyms with kids. The pair of books might even make good mentor texts to those who would like to try their own stories highlighting words that sound the same. It would be a fun extension to find a video of the old Abbott and Costello routine, "Who's On First?" and share that.







Here's a link to a recording of Abbott and Costello's famous routine!






Dog-lovers will really appreciate this adorable picture book that tells the story of a lady and her little dog, Baked Potato. Every day the lady eats a baked potato and when she decides that her little dog reminds her of her favorite food, she starts calling her pet, "Baked Potato." But when Baked Potato gets lost in the neighborhood, he becomes very confused and needs help. Anyone who's ever lost track of their pet will be able to relate to the lady's joy and relief at finally having the dog back home.






Managing emotions can be tough, especially during these challenging times of social isolation due to the coronavirus pandemic. When we're all cooped up in our houses together with our families, sometimes you just want to find a place by yourself where you can have some peace and quiet. But, of course, we live in community with our families and our friends, and the relationships we have with them are important. The little cactus in his spot on the windowsill, is definitely a prickly character. He just wants to be alone, and everyone that passes by with a friendly greeting gets yelled at by him. But after he pushes everyone away, he realizes that he's lonely. I like the messages of forgiveness and restoration of relationship in the way that he interacts with Rosie, the sweet tumbleweed. This would be a great book to share to start a discuss about ways to find balance between being together with our friends/families and finding a time to take care of oneself quietly. It might even inspire young writers to create their own narratives about being in community with others.






Meeting new neighbors can be difficult; I'm somewhat shy and it's hard to reach out and meet new people. So the when the little girl finds out there's a new girl her age moving in next door, Zola, she imagines that the girl is far too busy tending to her pet elephant and doesn't have time to be friends. The lyrical text and gorgeous illustrations show the elephant being fed toast, being bathed, and playing hide-and-seek by Zola. Young readers will be anxious to see how the little girl is going to work up the courage to introduce herself. This could be a good way to start a conversation about how we make new neighbors feel welcome. It could also inspire young writers to create their own stories about meeting new friends or overcoming fears.


















9 comments:

  1. I loved Relish so much. Such an awesome graphic memoir.

    I have a copy of Kitchens of the Great Midwest but haven't read it yet. Your review made me want to move it up my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many books, so little time. Thanks for sharing these! The You Loves Me book looks like an excellent choice for my little one.

    Here's my post for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved looking at all your books this week, Jana. I lucked into a copy of Nobody Hugs a Cactus this week, too -- you're so right that it's just perfect for all the feels we're experiencing right now. And I also added Stowaway to my list, last week. I hope to find a copy of it very soon! I'm thrilled to see a number of recent books about elephants popping up in kidlit, mglit, and yalit. I want to read them all! Thanks for the shares!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post, Jana. I've had Relish on my list a long time & now you've made me really want to read it, along with Kitchens of the Great Midwest. You might like Food of A Younger Land - Kurlansky, about his discovery of lost WPA files that were interviews & never used - fascinating. I remember Stowaway from Cheriee, but still don't have it. love the idea of Ewe Loves You. Thanks for every book! Hope your rain drips on by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These books sound great! I actually just commented earlier about how I always gravitate toward books with food in them, so Kitchens of the Great Midwest and Relish both sound great! Nobody Hugs a Cactus sounds great as well, and I didn't know Cece Bell writes picture books—I loved her MG graphic memoir El Deafo! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam Withers has a great series of extreme sports novels that I liked, so I'll have to look at the new one you mentioned. Glad today is sunny- it was so wet here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so behind with my Lucy Knisley reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm tired of the rain, but it looks like it is going to be a soggy start to the week!
    I have the new Lucy Knisley MG GN to read. Sounds interesting, I read a bit about it on Elisabeth Ellington's blog today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you enjoyed Stowaway. I always wonder what people will think of books I recommend. I enjoyed Relish: My Life in the Kitchen too. I even copied out recipes but never did get around to making them. I will have to see if I can find them.
    These picture books look delightful. I have to say that there is a good reason nobody hugs a cactus. While preparing my ancient cactus for moving, I ended up with tiny spines all over my hands. I couldn't even see them but it felt like my hands were on fire. I ended up putting glue all over my hands and then wrapping them with gauze. When it was dry, I took it off and it pulled the little prickles out with them. I will never move that thing again.

    ReplyDelete