Monday, May 11, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.













Thankfully we had a few gorgeous days this week. It's so much of a stress relief to be able to get out of the house and walk in the neighborhood. When I'm walking, I can almost imagine that things are "normal". With the beginning of businesses getting back to work, I'm noticing a lot more outdoor workers - landscape workers, roofers, fencers, etc. I was also excited to see the baby geese in our neighborhood pond. My husband reminded me that the geese really are a nuisance, and the babies just mean there will be more of them. However, given the bleak period we've been experiencing, I'm excited to see new life! These babies (and all of the other wildlife, for that matter) have no idea about COVID-19, Stay Home Orders, social distancing, or any of the other stressors of our lives. I hope that things are looking brighter where you are, too. Here are the picture books from my massive library stack that I read this week:







After reading through this book several times, I grew to like it more and more each time. So much has changed in our world in such a short time, and I think that the themes of overcoming fear, taking care of those that we love, and looking forward to all of the good times that ARE ahead make this a terrific book to share with young readers right now. Cylops takes excellent care of his sheep, counting them before bed and again during breakfast. When he realizes that one of the sheep, Eugene, is missing, everything stops for Cyclops - he has got to find his dear little one. If I were sharing this with the kids at Sunday School - I think I would have to point to the self-sacrificing love that he has for Eugene (he's willing to face the dangerous world he fears so much in order to find him) and compare it to the Parable of the Lost Sheep in the Book of Matthew ("What do you think? If a shepherd has a hundred sheep, and one of them has gone astray, does he not leave the ninety-nine on the mountains and go in search of the one that went astray?" Matthew 18:12)

And while there may be many young readers who have never been to New York City, I think many will be able to relate to a scary, crowded, unfamiliar place. And, unfortunately, during this pandemic, the idea of going to crowded places like an amusement park, baseball stadium, and public transportation is full of fears and apprehensions. Now we have to make sure there is enough distance for everyone, and that we are armed with hand sanitizer and facial coverings.

I also love that the book ends on a hopeful note. After the fears have been overcome and everyone had a terrific time, they're looking forward to the things they will do next. I think it's important to emphasize that while we're in troubled times now, things will get better.






This sweet picture book is based on a Hebrew lullaby and tells the emotional story of a Jewish refugee family leaving in the dark of night to a new home in a new land. Throughout the journey the little girl says "Lilah Tov - Good Night" to all of the parts of nature that are special to her. The book ends on a hopeful and grateful note with the little girl tucked safely in bed. This book could definitely stand alone as a bedtime story for young children, with gratitude for the world around us and our safe homes. But it could also start a conversation about refugees and why this family was leaving one home for another. I appreciate that this book gives the families or teachers sharing this book the option as to how much or how little to discuss.






This emotional picture book will tug on heartstrings as readers take in this story of friendship, grief, fear, and healing. Rabbit lives in a wheat field and is happy and content to stay home. He never goes off of the property, but when his friend, Dog, comes around, he shares the stories of his days on the road on his motorbike. Unfortunately, Dog passes away and leaves his motorbike to Rabbit. Little by little, Rabbit feels the urge to see the world beyond his wheat field. At first blush, this story is a story of grief and healing. But since the world changed a few months ago, we all are experiencing the grief of being stuck in our wheat fields. Our homes seem very safe right now, and as all of the politicians, journalists, and even protestors talk about opening businesses and lifting Stay Home Orders, the idea of getting back out on the road can seem overwhelming and scary. I like that the story ends with a hopeful note for all of us - "Certain roads take all summer to get back to a field of wheat. Rabbit noticed. Especially on a motorbike. But this road eventually did. And when it did, the days were wheat again. But they were also motorbike, and wings, and stories. Stories that kept old friends - and new - right there with him."






This fun picture book tells a story that lets young readers know that there are all kinds of people and that everyone can find a special friend. Larf is a sasquatch, and as far as he knows the only one in the world. He's happy living alone with his pet bunny, but when he finds out that there's going to be an appearance by another sasquatch in another city, he's apprehensive but fascinated to go and see. Young readers will get a laugh or two from the humorous illustrations and clever narrative. And even though this book was written several years ago, it unintentionally offers some great ideas for those that are practicing social distancing (which is all of us) - like taking solitary walks in the woods, gardening at home, and doing household chores.






Car enthusiasts will definitely appreciation young Jack's automotive creation in this awesome picture book. With rhyming text reminiscent of Dr. Seuss and sharp, colorful illustrations, Jack tells his father the kind of car he would create, with amazing features (the swimming pool and instant treat machine are my favorites) and the ability to travel on land, underwater, and in the air. This book is a fun escape and it could certainly inspire young imaginations to create their own modes of transportation.






This sweet picture book has a terrific message to young readers about self-acceptance, especially in the face of bullies and those that would discourage us for not being like everyone else. Molly Lou Melon is smaller than others her age, and she doesn't look or sound the same, either. Her grandmother gave her great encouragement to smile, sing, and accept herself. But when she has to move to another town, she's faced with a bully that wants to throw shade on everything about her. Young readers will love how gracefully she deals with the situation and how well it turns out. This could start a lot of great discussions about how we welcome new people into our community and how we let our friends and neighbors know that they are accepted for who they are.















8 comments:

  1. Every book you shared, Jana, is new to me, today, I loved reading your reviews & how you connected some to our time being experienced right now. They are thoughtful & made the book so inviting. Thank you! Wishing you a week of good things happening, like good weather & babies! We saw some baby geese last week at a nearby park, too! I know they are a nuisance, but the little ones are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Larf. Such a cute book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Larf a while ago (I'm an Ashley Spires fan!) Otherwise I'm looking forward to reading some of these other books. We have quail here in our yard. They are delightful to watch scuttling about, but not so nice when you get them into your garden beds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like a lot of these picks are applicable to everything going on right now! I liked your point about how Lilah Tov Good Night gives people the choice of how much to talk about, and Rabbit and the Motorbike sounds like a touching story! Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow Larf has never come across my radar. It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Molly Lou--her story is the best!
    Trent loves If I Built a School; I didn't know there were others!
    And I love Ashley Squire, so I definitely need to find Larf.
    Thank you for sharing them and all the books!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this is the first I've heard of Rabbit and the Motorbike -- I need this on my TBR list! And Stand Tall Molly Lou Melon looks so cute! I wasn't aware of this series before today, but I plan to go look it up right now. Thanks for sharing, Jana. I hope you have a fantastic reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sure that I have Larf in my library from before I took the position. I need to find that one when I go back. I haven't heard of Rabbit and the Motorbike but that one sounds great too. I also loved the connections you made and I also think that walking is a great way to work things out during this spell at home. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete