Monday, May 20, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.






It's like some flipped a switch and we went from chilly weather with the furnace on in the mornings to summertime! The grass is growing like crazy, and the weather is perfect for sitting outside with a glass of iced tea and a book! As the school year is winding down and summer break takes hold, I hope everyone is able to get outside and read more often. Here's what I've been reading this past week:



Classic Science Fiction




I, Robot by Isaac Asimov


As we move toward an increasingly technology-driven world - automated factories, driverless cars, artificial intelligence - it's interesting to look at the use of robots from the perspective of the 1940s. Asimov envisioned all of the ethical dilemmas and practical problems that might arise. Millennials are very comfortable with twenty-first century technology and the kids today don't know anything different. I've had a paperback copy of this book on my basement shelves for many years (so long, I don't even remember where it came from) and I'm so glad I brought it upstairs to read.



Picture Books






This lovely picture book is a warm and gentle celebration of all the things that make our homes special. Some of it involves the stuff of home - a chair in the corner or a special blanket; but more importantly, the people, the relationships, the feelings, and the love. With simple, lyrical text and comforting illustrations, this book helps young readers explore the specialness of home. When the family in the book packs up the car and drives a long distance to a new home - the little girl realizes that the most important things that make home special are still with them. I like that this book strikes a hopeful, optimistic tone about moving. This could also be a good mentor text for young writers looking for ways to describe their own homes or other special places.






For young readers who are often trying to understand where they fit in the grand scheme of things comes this awesome picture book that tells the story of a little earthworm that has questions, too. As the little earthworm is tunneling along, a mouse asks him why he does what he does. Since he doesn't know how to answer, he stops what he's doing to go figure it all out. As time goes by and the soil becomes hard and unable to sustain life, he realizes just how crucial his role is. This would be a great way to talk about the interdependence of plants and animals in an ecosystem and how there is an important role for all of them. The lovely illustrations and clever way the text is set to resemble the worm's path combine to make a terrific book to share with young readers.






This awesome poetry picture book is more than just simple haiku, the author describes it as Riddle-Ku. In a note at the back of the book Salas says: "In April 2014, during National Poetry Month, I combined riddles with haiku and mask poems. The result is what I call the riddle-ku. Its three lines contain five syllables, seven syllables, and five syllables, like an American haiku. Something nonhuman narrates or speaks the poem, making it a mask poem. And the reader tries to guess what the narrator is! Riddle-ku were so much fun that I wrote a whole book's worth!" I love that she also includes advice for young writers trying to create their own riddle-ku. Gorgeous illustrations along with poems for all seasons, make this a terrific resource to have on the shelf!






When I encounter a big puddle on my daily walk, I do everything I can to avoid stepping in the wet, muddy mess. I never stop to consider what the puddle thinks of me and all of the others that walk through it. This gorgeously illustrated picture book shows life from the point of view of the big puddle as it laments all of the birds, feet, and dog piddle that makes it feel big and unattractive. This would be a great book to share with young readers as a way to discuss perspective in literature and maybe even inspire writers to write their own stories from different points of view.






Simple text and softly colored, comforting illustrations come together to share a message of anticipation, patience, and perseverance for a little boy who has planted a seed and is waiting for it to grow. Waiting is tough, especially when you're young and time seems to stretch out forever. The little boy in this book has planted an avocado seed and is trying to help it grow into a tree. Young readers will appreciate his efforts to get roots started in a cup of water, waiting for something to happen after he's planted it in a pot full of dirt, and finally having a little something to plant in the ground. This book is a terrific book to share with young readers during the spring planting season and it reminds me a little bit of And Then It's Spring by Julie Fogliano.






There is a big storm on the horizon and Noah's parents are busy getting the family's townhouse ready. Noah's father is boarding up windows and his mom is making sure the family has enough food, water and other supplies to ride out the storm for a few days. Inspired by his parents and his love of animals, Noah decides to build an ark that the backyard wildlife can use to stay dry and safe during the heavy rains. This book uses great descriptive language and beautiful illustrations to tell this story of taking care of families and animals. It is loosely based on the Bible story of Noah and the flood, so Noah's Ark by Jerry Pinkney would be a terrific partner book to share with young readers who are unfamiliar with it.






The relationship that Mrs. Badger and Lulu share is a terrific example of intergenerational mentoring, which is such an awesome way for young people to gain confidence, learn skills, and become leaders themselves. Mrs. Badger walks up the mountain path every week. When she become friends with little Lulu, she shares her experience, wisdom, and values with the young kitten. As time goes on and Mrs. Badger is unable to continue going up the mountain, Lulu is prepared to make the trip independently. It's not the same, of course, but Lulu is ready. I love how things come full circle in this lovely picture book with Lulu befriending a youngster in need of guidance. This would be a great book to share with groups that are interested in developing intergenerational experiences, as it is an encouraging and inspirational story.
















8 comments:

  1. Oh that photo looks like lovely! Our weather has been up and down, lately. We had all the snow, then temps in the 80s with gorgeous sunshine and everyone playing outside. Then we went back to COLD, COLD, COLD the last few days (and we were supposed to have snow, today, but I think it'll just be really cold rain). CRAZY! I have this weird feeling like I've read I, Robot a loooong time ago, but it would have been before Goodreads. LOL I've been enjoying science fiction lately and am going to add this one to my list as I'm almost certain my hubby has a copy in his office that I can borrow. I've not yet read any of your picture books, but a number of them were on my list. Puddle and Sprout, Seed, Sprout are new to me, so I'm making sure to add them right now. Thank you for all these wonderful shares, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sad to say our cold is back. It's supposed to only be 50 today & rainy. We do need the rain, but coats again! Thanks for all these wonderful books, Jana. I loved Carl & Laura's Lion of The Sky, have Puddle to read and hope to have Home Is A Window soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love vintage science fiction, especially how no one saw smart phones on the horizon! I have some Clarke and Heinlein titles my hard core fans pick up, and I, Robot is great since it sets out the rules for robots that authors still follow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had the craziest weather - mostly rain, clouds, and cool air every day, but today it was almost 80! Up the Mountain Path sounds really sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all these picture books but Carl is probably my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carl is definitely one of my favorite picture books this year. Keep hearing about Lion of the Sky so must see if I can get from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haven't read all of these, but I definitely loved Carl! I need to get the Sprout book because my son is all into hydroponic plants right now :)
    Happy reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so intrigued by Carl and the meaning of life. The Noah book looks super interesting too! Have a great reading week! Hopefully, I find some of these titles in our library.

    ReplyDelete