Monday, May 6, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?





It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.


















Spring is busting out all over! I know I already said that last week, but each day I just can't get over how fast everything is growing. That's probably due to all of the rain that we've had. At any rate, each gorgeous day finds me outside hitting the trails. I'm very fortunate to live in a community that has miles and miles of walking trails. I have several routes from which to choose, and so each day there's a new way to go. Having been cooped up most of the winter, I love getting out and seeing how my favorite paths are sprouting. As a result, I didn't get as much reading in as I normally do. But I did read some great books that have been recently published. Here's what I have been reading the past week:



Middle Grade Fiction






I had the opportunity to read a NetGalley digital-ARC of this middle grade novel in exchange for a review. Just in time for summer vacation, this book will resonate with middle school-aged kids who have a hard time figuring out just where they belong in this world.

This Cape Cod island community is just beginning the summer season and Annabelle has finished seventh grade with poor grades and a belief that her academic struggles will be with her forever. But when she dives into the pool, all of her school troubles are left behind, and she becomes the power swimmer that wins competitions and shatters records. Noticed by the coaches of the swim team, Annabelle is invited to swim on the high school team because of her strength and abilities. But with this exciting opportunity comes more drama and temptation as Annabelle starts to run with an older crowd and develops a major crush on Connor, who is two years older than her and very flirtatious. This creates tension with her middle school friends and her parents and leads her to make some unfortunate choices that threaten to ruin her chance to become a star on the high school swim team.

I love the setting of this story. This book lets readers step into this beachy, island community to hang out on sandy dunes with these kids, enjoy eating frozen treats at the Creamery, and experience the thrill of swimming competitions. I also think that middle grade students that enjoy friendship and family dramas will be able to take this one to the pool and feel like they’re spending vacation with a new friend. I like that while the dialogue and situations ring true for this age group, and that Annabelle behaves in ways that get her into trouble with her family, the actions of Connor and the rest of the high school group still stay within the bounds of appropriate content for middle schoolers. I think this book would be appropriate for kids in grades six and up.



Picture Books







Get ready for a high-fiving good time with fun, interactive picture book that will have young readers giggling and practicing their own creative high fives. With rollicking, rhyming text and humorous illustrations in bold fluorescent colors, this book is presented as a guide to becoming a high-five world champion and gives young readers tips on limbering up little hands, coming up with creative moves that will impress judges, and having a winning attitude.






This charming picture book is a fun pirate adventure for young readers reminiscent of We're Going On a Bear Hunt. With rollicking rhyming text and bright, colorful artwork this book begs to be read aloud with a pirate accent! The little rabbit and his group of animal friends are going on a high seas journey seeking gold and along the way they encounter all sorts of dangerous circumstances: a giant squid, a pod of whales, treacherous storms, scary skeletons, and so on. When they're just about to score their bounty, though - a tiny mouse stands in their way! Having just survived my own ordeal with a kitchen mouse (whom we were able to trap in the kitchen sink), I can definitely relate! It's also got a good message for all of us who are capable of all sorts of adventures in the world, but then let small things get the better of us.






This interesting picture book was partly dedicated to "the late anthropologist Sheila Kitzinger, MBE, who coined the word 'babymoon' to encourage new families to take time to rest, learn, and fall in love" with their newest members. Before reading this lovely book, I had never heard the term before, but I think it's a terrific concept. With warm, comforting artwork and rhyming text, young readers will get to experience the first days after a newborn baby's arrival at home - resting together, reading together, getting accustomed to new names and new noises, etc. This would be a terrific book to share with any youngster from a family anticipating a new arrival, but I think it's also good to share with all kids so they might understand why friends or neighbors might hang the "See You Sign" and might need space for a while.






As spring really takes hold, all of the natural world seems to be coming alive all at once here in central Ohio. As I go for my daily walks, there's always something new blooming and colors are everywhere. When the bird wakes up his friend, Pup, the little dog is eager to go from his gray, sleepy home to the outside world where there is so much waiting! Using simple, rhyming text and artwork in specific palette choices for each page and color/emotion, this lovely picture book celebrates the range of emotions that each color evokes. It also has a simple, but powerful emotion, that our good friends will stick with us when our happy times turn to sad or scary times.














7 comments:

  1. Babymoon is a lovely book, and I have Up for Air on my list, Jana. I love seeing your beautiful pictures. Finally, we are having some green appear & the crabapple trees are in full bloom. I'm loving this spring busting out all over, too. You are lucky to have all those paths!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't you love seeing more green??
    Great picture books this week, glad I added more to your list :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Up for Air was a novel I would have loved as a tween reader. I am waiting for my loan to come through for High Five. And Wake Up Color Pup! Simple text but a powerful message. Have a great week Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  4. High Five is fun! I love Kelly DiPucchio's book so I'll have to check out We're Going on a Treasure Hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babymoon looks awesome and would be great to pair with B is for Baby by Atinuke. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babymoon looks lovely -- thanks for sharing these books.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed Up For Air -- what a beautiful review you've written here, Jana! I know it will resonate with many readers, and just in time for summer. And I cannot wait to read Babymoon. My last three babies were born at home and in the natural birthing community, this was the term we used for those first few days/weeks after giving birth. Such precious days of quiet and space... Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete