When I was first asked to be a part of Picture Book 10 for 10, I agreed right away. As a 5th grade teacher I'm constantly reading picture books, middle grade novels, and all sorts of things to share with children. I love reading and figured this would be a piece of cake.
As I started considering which books would be part of my first list, though, I struggled. There are so many amazing picture books. There are picture books that have a terrific and important message. There are picture books that incorporate beautiful language and poetry. There are picture books that just make you laugh. There are nonfiction books that are informative and entertaining. I would start one list and then start questioning my choices. Then I started to worry that, for my very first blog post ever, I should only pick truly sophisticated and cool picture books.
Then as I got busy reading the stacks of picture books that seem to be taking over my house, I decided why not just go for the ten picture books that have made me happy this summer? Reading is supposed to be fun, for me and my students.
So here are my 10 Picture Books for August, 2015:
1. Yard Sale by Eve Bunting and Lauren Castillo
2. Growing Up Pedro by Matt Tavares
3. Sam and Dave Dig a Hole! by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen
4. Sidewalk Flowers by JonArno Lawson and Sydney Smith
5. Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
6. Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett and Jon Klassen
7. Rufus the Water by Elizabeth Bram and Chuck Groenink
8. Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco
9. The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
10. Goin' Someplace Special by Patricia C. McKissack and Jerry Pinkney