Monday, November 12, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.





We just got back from a wonderful Halloween week cruise. We sailed on the Carnival Miracle and were able to visit Grand Cayman, Roatan (Honduras), Belize, and Cozumel (Mexico). We had a terrific time relaxing, swimming with dolphins, and soaking up the sun before settling into the cold weather of Ohio. 






I did manage to squeeze in time to read on the airplane and on the ship. I have to admit I have a hard time keeping my attention on books when there is so much to see and do onboard and fun cruise ship. I also got back on track when I returned home. Here's what I've been reading lately:


Adult Nonfiction






The pastor of my church mentioned this book during a sermon on doubt and I have found it to be thought provoking and comforting. The book wrestles with three questions that seem to be stumbling blocks for most people that are having doubts about God: Is God unfair? Is God silent? Is he hidden? The author went to the Bible to find the answers to these questions and this book is the product of that research. I really enjoyed reading this and would like to read some of the other books by this author.





Young Adult/Middle Grade Nonfiction






As I was searching through my collection of books for something to read during my vacation, I came across my old paperback copy of this classic diary written by a young girl who was forced into hiding with her family in Amsterdam during World War II. I’ve read this book many times, as it’s one of my favorites. I remember reading this book in junior high school and being able to relate to the adolescent venting of a girl who is having a difficult time getting along with her family because no one understands her.

Each time I read this book, I discover new things to appreciate and think about. This time I was struck by the maturity of the writing of this youngster, who while still longing for the world of friends, school, and movie stars, is able to strike an upbeat tone about the goodness of people in the face of such horrible acts by the Nazis.

“I don’t think then of all the misery, but of the beauty that still remains…”

During the crazy times we live in, this book is definitely worth revisiting from time to time. While there are lots of historical and cultural references that might be confusing to younger readers, this book is a great mentor text for diary/journal writing and also an encouraging book for those that are worried about the events unfolding around them.






This middle grade informational book takes a look at the lives and accomplishments of young people who have had an impact on the world around them. These brief sketches take readers to young people from hundreds of years ago (Mozart, Joan of Arc) to kids in more modern times. This is a good mentor text for informational writing and kids will be attracted to it because it showcases young people that they will be able to relate to.




Picture Books






With vibrant, colorful illustrations and rollicking, rhyming text, young superhero fans will have fun learning all the ways that superheroes bounce back from adversity. This book has a nice message about taking responsibility for your actions and finding solutions to problems. 






Young readers will enjoy reading this story that shares a message of tolerance and living in community with those that are different than the majority. Polar Bear Island is an exclusive community that is only for polar bears. Parker, the mayor, is determined to keep it that way. But when Kirby, a fun-loving penguin arrives, the other polar bears learn lots of new things that make life far more enjoyable. Pretty soon, Kirby's family joins him, much to the dismay of Parker. Kids will enjoy finding out whether or not the penguins will be able to stay. This is definitely a timely story to share with children as we grapple with the question of who is welcome in our country and in our communities. 



















8 comments:

  1. Oh my -- your cruise sounds like SO MUCH FUN! My brother keeps telling me to go on one, but I think we'll have to wait until the littles are grown up. There aren't many cruises in Nebraska (wink, wink), so it'll take some traveling to reach water. My daughter just finished reading The Diary of a Young Girl a couple months ago (she picked it up off our shelves and just started reading one day) and I loved hearing her talk about how wise she felt Anne was for her age. She was amazed at how well she was able to express herself for being so young. I'm so glad we get to share that book now (and I remember how much of an impact it made on me as I read it when I was in middle school, too). I hope to find a copy of Never Too Young! This looks like it might be a great read-aloud. Thank you for sharing, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful holiday!
    I haven't read Anne Frank in ages! In honour of Remembrance day, I read Making Bombs for Hitler last week. Never Too Young! looks like an important book, and Polar Bear Island sounds like a fun story with a critical message!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you had that fabulous trip, Jana. I think I might not read either, just look and look. How wonderful to re-read Anne Frank. I 'sort of' re-read it a few years ago when I read the graphic novel of it. Maybe it's time to read the original, too? I like the look of 'Never Too Young", will be a nice one to get for my granddaughters. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great trip! It's definitely hard to keep your attention on reading when on a cruise ship with so much to do!

    I'm convinced I need to find Polar Bear Island now because you're the second blog I've seen it on today :)

    Here's my Monday post

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing trip! -I (Tammy) have always wanted to swim with dolphins. Never Too Young looks intriguing - Sounds like it would be a great text to read aloud during an opinion writing unit of study to help students think about ways they can impact the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to read the Anne Frank graphic novel. Her story needs to be heard as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that the Superheroes picturebook has been turned into a series now! That is absolutely awesome. :) And yes, I need a cruise - nah, make that a vacation, stat! :)

    ReplyDelete