Monday, March 9, 2020

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?



It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.





It's been several weeks since I've posted my reading. Unfortunately we were unable to go on our cruise. My husband was in a great deal of pain with tendonitis in his right ankle. We went to the doctor, he was on medication to help him heal. But we decided that his pain was just to great to travel. Thankfully our trip insurance allowed us to get our money back. And I have to say, that when I see all of the coronavirus issues on the cruise ships, I kind of feel like it might have been a blessing in disguise. Thankfully, my husband's ankle is beginning to feel better. And this weekend, we celebrated my entrance in the 5-0 Club! Yay! At any rate, here's what I've been reading lately: 



Classic Literature








I'm continuing my personal challenge to read more books that have been gathering dust in the basement and other nooks and crannies of my house. I read Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen and enjoyed it. Many of my friends recommended Pride and Prejudice, which I happened to have as well. I'm pretty sure I read it when I was in high school, but had forgotten most of it. Anyway, I loved it! It had an engaging narrative, interesting character development, and romance. It was definitely worth another read!



Picture Books






It can be so difficult for people with anxiety issues to interact with people, especially in situations that are loud, crowded, or overwhelming. Violet really gets upset when she has to go to receptions, reunions, potlucks, or any other type of party. Her father, with the best of intentions, tries to encourage her to play with the other children and participate in the get-togethers. Young readers will appreciate finding out how Violet and her father work to find a solution so that Violet can relax and enjoy herself more. This is a great book to share with kids to understand more about anxiety issues and consider strategies to help everyone feel welcome and comfortable in social situation.





Readers will never look at dandelions in the same way after exploring the world through the adventures of the lion in this gorgeous wordless picture book. Beautiful charcoal illustrations, with only the dandelion's yellow to color this world, tell the story of the a dandelion that becomes a lion and, with the help of friends, he is able to see the world. This would be a great way to inspire young writers to help tell the dandelion's story. So much could be done with this book!





This adorable counting book will have young readers counting chicks as they run around the barnyard and fall asleep in all the comfy spots. It's the end of a long day on the farm, and while everyone else is winding it up and getting ready for the night, the little chicks are full of energy. They run around visiting all of the other animals, but one by one the drop off to sleep. With cheerful, colorful illustrations and bouncy, rhyming text, young children will have fun counting the chicks and seeing how Mother Hen gets them all home and in bed. This would be a fun book to share with kids at bed time.






This picture book uses cheery illustrations and welcoming text to share with young readers information about a global movement to conserve energy. Lights Out happens annually in March to bring awareness to the need to curb the use of energy. This could help readers and their families look at ways they can reduce energy use in their own homes and schools.






I love how this book uses rich, colorful detail and gorgeous illustrations to celebrate the beautiful diversity in our world, while drawing attention to all of the things we have in common. The narrator wonders if we see the same lovely world when we look at the sky, the ocean, the dirt, etc. With all of the voices of negativity in our world that are working so hard to divide people, this book will help young readers see that we really are more the same than we are different. This book would be a great way to talk to children about ways to achieve unity and community and relationships in our broken world. It could also inspire young writers to add their own verses celebrating the colors and details in their own neighborhoods.






With spare text and bright, colorful illustrations, this awesome picture book celebrates young musicians and the way they see and hear the world around them. The narrative follows Nic from orchestra practice onto the bus with his oversized instrument. He gets his share of derision from folks who don't understand his musical passion and get bumped by the bulky case. When he finally gets to his grandfather's apartment, he's in for a treat as he gets to play jazz with the older gentlemen. Kids that are just starting to learn their musical instruments at school will definitely be able to relate to this one.





I have read articles and stories about pets and their owners who look alike. This fun picture book celebrates families and their pets, and how alike they can grow to be through time. In this book, the narrator's dad and cat are alike in so many ways - they like the same foods, they like to exercise together, sleep together, and sing together. Pet lovers will definitely enjoy this book. There's a fun twist to this book, that will definitely have readers looking back to figure out just who's telling the story. This would be a great book to use to talk about point of view in literature!





This adorable picture book uses cozy, comfortable illustrations and rhyming text to help young readers appreciate the concept of serving and sharing what we have with others. Little William is in his warm, cozy house ready to climb into bed for a long, nap. When there's a tap at the window, and a little squirrel asking if he could come in and sleep, too. William doesn't hesitate to share his bed and home and immediately makes room for his new little friend. After several others join in the bed, the guests are just sure that there couldn't possibly be room for any more. The myth of scarcity is shattered when they surprise themselves by welcoming in a huge, new friend. This would be a terrific book to share with young children at bedtime, and also a great way to start a conversation about how we share what we have with others.


















7 comments:

  1. I recently read Pride and Prejudice and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't remember reading it before last year, so it was a very pleasant surprise. I'm adding Double Bass Blues to my "music for the classroom teacher" Goodreads list. And Dandelion's Dream looks adorable -- bet we'll have fun reading that here at home! Thanks for all these wonderful shares, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, hit "publish" too quickly. I also wanted to wish you a happy birthday!! And I agree with your thoughts on not being on a cruise right now. It seems a number of cruise lines are having to keep everyone quarantined somewhere. Eeek!

      Delete
  2. I loved Dandelion's Dream. It was a nice surprise! I put Double Bass Blues and Violet Shrink on my list, too, Jana. Am so glad your 'vacation' blues turned out quite happily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Jana. I'm sorry about your partner's ankle, but I agree that it might have been a blessing in disguise given the outbreaks of coronavirus on cruise ships.
    I used to reread Jane Austen on a regular basis. The best part of it was getting more out of the books with each read, but understanding them with new eyes as I got older. I might have to go and reread them now that I am approaching 70!
    Thanks for the introduction to these new to me books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you weren't able to go on your cruise, but I think it just means that you'll have a more fun cruise in the future! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    I don't know the picture books you shared; thank you for sharing them!

    Happy reading this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Golden Birthday! I loved Are Your Stars Like My Stars?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw your posts on FB, and yes, it does seem to be a blessing in disguise. Hard to be ok about missing a vacation, but I hope you'll get to enjoy something soon. Maybe an early spring!

    ReplyDelete