Monday, January 7, 2019

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?




It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.





Hopefully everyone had a fun and restful holiday break. It's so wonderful to get together with family and friends to celebrate Christmas and the New Year. I spent some time reading, but I spent even more time visiting, eating, watching holiday movies, and just relaxing. Here's what I've been reading lately: 



Classic Novels

Inspired by last year's PBS program The Gread American Read, I've decided to spend more time reading some of these classic novels that I have shelved in my basement and collecting in my Kindle. Some I have read before, and some are brand new to me. It's fun to get lost in these novels, and since many are readily available at the library and free/cheap to purchase for Kindle, it's a great way to give your bank account a chance to recover from the holidays!






I found a copy of this in my basement, I think it belongs to my husband. Anyway, I decided to give it a read and I was just blown away by how relevant the book is to today's society. It could be a current fiction novel, especially with everyone glued to their phones. Social media, selfies, texting, etc. has replaced most reading that requires deep thinking. Social isolation and the drive to make everything fun and happy is the same as it was in Guy Montag's community. This book has reminded me why I love reading!



Middle Grade Fiction






I had the opportunity to read a NetGalley digital ARC of this title in exchange for a review. This middle grade road trip novel tells the story of twelve-year-old Coyote Sunrise and her father, Rodeo, who spend their days roaming around the country on a refurbished school bus they named Yager. Five years ago, Coyote’s mother and two sisters died in a tragic accident leaving Coyote and Rodeo reeling and unable to cope with the pain of the loss. So, the two climbed aboard the school bus, made it their home, and travelled anywhere they wanted, so long as it wasn’t anywhere near their painful memories.

But when Coyote learns that the park in her hometown is about to be torn apart to make room for a new development, she needs to get her dad to get them there quickly in order for her to find and salvage a memory box she and her mother and sisters buried several days before they died.
On the way there, the two take on several different passengers, each with compelling reasons they need to be on this trip. As they make their way across the country, Coyote and Rodeo learn how to face their grief and they also learn that running away and trying to forget is not the answer.

The author does a great job of capturing the sounds, smells, sights, and feelings that make the scenes feel real in this book. Middle grade readers will be able to climb aboard this bus, taste the Slushees, feel the soft fur of the kitten Coyote adopts, and see the sights of the road zooming past the window. Suspense is built as Coyote pushes her dad to make it to Washington in time for her to save her memory box with lots of roadblocks along the way.
This book would be appropriate for middle grade readers grades six and up. There is some mature language that you might want to consider if you have readers that are younger or are sensitive to that.



Picture Books






Young readers will enjoy learning about the celebration of Las Posadas as celebrated in Santa Fe. Sister Angie has been involved in this procession for many years and this year she has arranged for her niece, Lupe, and her husband to portray Mary and Joseph and their search for shelter on the night of Jesus' birth. It's a big honor to play the part of Mary and Joseph and they have been rehearsing their parts for weeks. But when Sister Angie comes down with the flu on Christmas Eve and Lupe and her husband are stuck in a snowstorm it looks like the celebration is going to be a disaster. This is a lovely story with terrific illustrations showing a Christmas miracle. Definitely a nice read aloud choice during the days leading up to Christmas.






This book is a terrific story to share with young readers to help build relationship and empathy. Tyler's family is decorating their home for the holidays and realize that they need to replace their Christmas tree angel. Tyler starts to wonder why all of the angels look like girls and why they are always pink. He wants to find a black angel that looks like him. After searching all of the stores, he becomes discouraged that the family will have to settle for a gold star for the top of the tree. On Christmas morning, he receives a special gift that allows him to see that angels can look like him. The positive story and the beautifully rendered illustrations make this book a treat to share with young readers during the holiday season.






This book uses lyrical, sensory language and beautiful illustrations to celebrate the beginning of winter. The children in the book watch expectantly out the window, bundle up in their warmest clothes, and head outside to enjoy the magic of snow. I love how the author captures the way the snow sounds and the way it feels: "When words freeze in the thin, brittle air and nostrils stick together, The snow speaks in squeaks and crunches under the children's feet. Cold Cold Cold." This could be a terrific mentor text for young writers trying to describe the season.






Simple to read picture book about a young boy enjoying a snowy day. Might be good for younger children/beginning readers.






Anybody that’s ever bundled up to go outside and play in the snow knows that while warmth is important, sometimes you can overdo it and become very uncomfortable. The narrator of this cute, rhyming cumulative tale has on so many clothes that are too stiff, wrinkled, or caught up in the zipper that finally tears bring help from Mother. Simple text for beginning readers and full-color artwork created with watercolor paints, colored pencils and a black pen make this a fun, wintertime book to have on the primary bookshelf.






This retelling of a traditional story of how a boy's lost mitten becomes shelter from the cold for a bunch of forest animals would be interesting to compare to the Jan Brett version of this story. The illustrations are lovely, but use a limited palette compared to the Brett's version. The story itself is awesome as it highlights the cooperation and sharing of these creatures; there's always room for one more... 






I’ve shared this book with children many times throughout the years. It’s always been a favorite and I love the messages of kindness and “making room for one more”. This book could generate some great discussions about how we can serve our neighbors in need. The boy has a special relationship with his grandmother and I think that many children can relate to that. The illustrations, which capture the Ukrainian costumes and architecture so well, are gorgeous and another reason Jan Brett’s books are so popular.


















8 comments:

  1. I've loved Fahrenheit 451 more than once, & yes, it does seem like a 'modern' novel, fits today's life well. I'm looking forward to reading 'Coyote Sunrise', know it will be good. And I love all your holiday and snowy books. I have both of those mitten books, a wonderful story. Thanks, Jana. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, and feeling drawn to read and re-read some classic novels. I missed quite a few during my younger years and would love a refresher of others. And oh my goodness, I am excited by all the snow books. Coyote Sunrise is on my #MustReadin2019 list -- can't wait! I have not yet read The Snow Speaks and I am sad to see it's not available locally, so I'm going to look into picking up a used copy online for our home library. I absolutely love winter and few people in my area can understand that. But I grew up in central Texas where we almost never had snow. There were no white Christmases. And on the rare occasion that it DID snow, the white melted away within 24 hours. Our snowmen were basically held together by mud, grass, and leaves. LOL So when we moved to an area that offered all FOUR seasons (rather than just hot/humid and warm/humid), I was giddy. We have The Mitten and The Jacket I Wear in the Snow and several other snowy books (Snowflake Bentley) on our home shelves, so now I simply must find a nice spot for The Snow Speaks! Thanks for sharing, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck last year. I was pretty much gobsmacked by how relevant it remains to this day. I will contemplate rereading Fahrenheit 451 since I can't remember reading it, but did watch the movie last year.
    I am very much looking forward to reading The Remarkable Journey of Coyote Sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a pretty big fan of Dan Gemeinhart (one of the few authors where I've read all of his books), so I am so excited for Coyote Sunrise!

    Happy reading this week, and happy new year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never read Fahrenheit 451, but maybe I'll give it a whirl as some point. I love Coyote Sunrise. When I taught first grade I read both Jan Brett's The Mitten and the Alvin Tresselt version. Seeing those makes me miss reading them! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh! Too funny. I read The Hat this weekend by Brett. I didn't realize The Mitten was another book!

    (This is Ricki at Unleashing Readers, btw. My profile is not cooperating!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved Coyote and I agree Dan Gemeinhart’s writing truly made me feel I was journeying on that bus to Washington with Coyote and the other passengers. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss reading Ray Bradbury - he is one of those authors who make me gasp aloud and look at the world with star-filled eyes. He was a magician with words. Love your snow-themed titles here as well! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete