Monday, July 9, 2018

It's Monday! What Are You Reading?






It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey as a way to share what you have read and/or reviewed in the past week. It's also a terrific way to find out what other people are reading.

Jen Vincent, of Teach Mentor Texts and Kellee Moye of Unleashing Readers have given this meme a children's literature focus: picture books, middle grade novels, etc. They "encourage everyone who participates to support the blogging community by visiting the other bloggers that link up and leave comments for them.





Hope everyone had a wonderful 4th of July holiday. With the crazy hot weather, family fun, and fireworks, I got a little bit of time to read. Here's what I've been reading this past week:


Picture Books






This entertaining picture book takes readers on a fun tour of a new school. When you're a new student, a tour of your new building can look just as strange and mysterious. A new student might be missing his/her previous school and sizing up where he/she will fit in at the new school. This book uses humorous illustrations and an unusual tour to help new students realize that they do belong and they will make new friends and everything will be all right. This would be fun to share with kids getting ready to start a new school or maybe just returning from summer break. This could also make a great mentor text for young writers and artists to develop a tour of their own school building!








The first day of school can be tough, especially when you eat your classmates! This funny book about a little girl T-Rex learning how to get along with others at school would be terrific to share with kids that are getting ready to start school themselves or maybe just need a reminder about how to treat others. Penelope Rex is all excited about starting school, but things don't go well for her after she eats her classmates. No one wants to be friends with her because they're all afraid of her. Young readers will appreciate how things turn around for her once she learns to treat them the way she would like to be treated. The brightly colored and richly detailed illustrations are hilarious and really fit the story well.



Adult Nonfiction






This book is designed to help married couples understand about the five love languages (ways that a person feels loved): Words of Affirmation, Acts of Service, Receiving Gifts, Quality Time and Physical Touch. Once both partners in a relationship learn each other's primary language, then they can go to work using them to make each other feel loved, secure, and significant. But as I read this, I realized that the information in this book applies not just to married couples, but to everyone. This is a book that can definitely help everyone build relationship. In a world that seems to be in great need of people making each other feel safe, significant, and like they belong, this book is definitely a helpful resource.






9 comments:

  1. Love the rabbit picture! I think kids are going to love We Don't Eat Our Classmates. I have to check out the other picture book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that rabbit pic is terrific! My rabbits are not as brave, usually huddle in the grass! Thanks for the 'school' book, sounds good, Jana. Happy summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ordered a copy of We Don't Eat Our Classmates as Ryan Higgins is a favourite author at my school. I am hoping to read it in September to a few classes. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very much looking forward to reading We Don't Eat Our Classmates. And that rabbit photo is ADORABLE! We have a lot of wild rabbits in our area, but so far none of them have been tame enough to come up to our doors. Thanks for the shares this week, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the rabbit photo!
    Both of these picture books look great. I'm especially looking forward to reading We Don't Eat Our Classmates, but will have to check out The Truth About My Unbelievable School too. Maybe it will be the ideal book to read to classes when I am a substitute teacher and encourage them to take pity on me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We Don't Eat Our Classmates is on my Must Read list! Can't wait to read it! Thanks also for the recommendation of The Truth About My Unbelievable School--I'll have to check it out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just loved We Don’t Eat Our Classmates and know kids will be, Last week I reviewed Great Dig by Davide Cavil and really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love Benjamin Chaud's art - so much detail! :) Thanks for sharing all these and have a great reading week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bunny! <3
    Classmates is one of my new favorite picture books! I am definitely going to buy it after reading it at ALA.
    And I don't know if I have read any books with Chaud's artwork before; I'll need to fix that.

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete